Monday, January 15, 2018

Colorful Makar Sankranti celebrations of Alandi

Yesterday, I happen to visit Aalandi, near Pune, Maharashtra. A place known for Sant Nynaneshwar.
Coincidentally, it was Makar Sankranti. It was wonderful to experience the celebration mode on the occassion. In City areas like Mumbai or Pune, the celebration is not evident. Basically, at these places, celebrations are only through Whatsapp. In Maharashtra, we have a tradition to give sweets made out of Sesame and Jaggary called as TilgooL (TilGud). While giving it we say, "TilGooL ghya, goad goad bola". Means Have TilgooL and as its taste is sweet, keep speaking to us sweet for the rest of the year. As I mentioned, in city areas, celebration is through Whatsapp, so, we give only virtual TilgooL to people and expect them to speak sweet.
So, I was really impressed when I happen to be at this place Aalandi. I could experience the feel of the celebration mode here. It was one of colorful days, I witnessed. People dressed in colored clothes, getting ready to visit the temple, to enjoy in a fair, shopping colorful things, buying colorful flowers to offer to the God. Everything was just colorful. It was a different kind of experience for me.
Just Colorful!

No comments: